Support Local History
The Museum of North Idaho depends on financial support through membership, donations, and grants. We invite you to play a key role in inspiring a dynamic and interactive connection to the unique heritage of the Coeur d’Alene region and securing our next fifty years. Every gift makes a difference.
Your money stays with us. 100% of all donations to the Museum of North Idaho are used toward historical preservation and stay with MONI for our programming and collections efforts.
Ways to Give
- A cash gift is the simplest form of charitable giving. Your tax deduction is equal to the amount of cash you donated, minus the value of any goods or services you received in return. The Museum of North Idaho accepts cash, checks, and credit cards.
IRA Charitable Rollover
- The Feel-Good Way to use your IRA! Your individual retirement account (IRA) is a smart way to ensure your dreams for retirement come true. But did you also know your IRA can support local history?
- IRA Charitable Rollover: Persons age 72 or older can roll over up to $100,000 from their IRA to a qualified charity like ours, which allows you to satisfy your required minimum distribution for the year and avoid taxes on the transfer. This may lower taxable income even for those who do not itemize deductions.
- Here's how it works: If you are 70 1/2 or older, you can use the IRA charitable rollover (also known as the qualified charitable distribution) to make a tax-free gift to MONI. Transfer any amount up to $100,000 per year, and you'll contribute to a legacy project for generations to come!
- Beginning the year you turn 72, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution. It's a win for you AND historical preservation.
- How you benefit:
- You'll feel good seeing your gift preserving North Idaho's heritage.
- You'll pay NO income taxes on the gift. The transfer does not generate taxable income or a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you don't itemize.
Not 70 1/2 yet?
When you reach the age of 59 1/2, you may withdraw funds from your IRA without penalty. You'll pay income tax on the amount you withdraw, but if you itemize your tax deductions, you are eligible to take an income tax charitable deduction for the full value of the gift.
One of the most tax-efficient ways to give is by contributing long-term appreciated securities, like stocks. There are two advantages to donating in this way.
Advantages of transferring stocks
Since you are not selling your stocks, there are no capital gains taxes to be concerned with.
Any of your stocks that were purchased over a year ago that have a current value greater than their original cost can be donated and become eligible for a tax deduction equal to the full fair market value of the stock.
Real Estate Donations
- If you have a property that you’re no longer using and would have to pay a large tax if you sold the property, you may find that donating that real estate to charity is a good option. If you are still living in the property that you’d like to give away, you can set it up to become a charitable contribution by having the deed to your real estate transferred after your death.
- At that point, the value of the home will be taken out of your estate, lowering your estate taxes. In some cases, you may be eligible for a tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the real estate, too.
Sometimes called deferred gifts, the term planned gifts refers to specific strategies that benefit the charity at some point in the future, while offering immediate benefits to the donor. There are several types of gifts that fall under the category of planned giving, including bequests of life income gifts such as a charitable remainder unitrust. A planned gift enables you to make a larger gift to the Museum of North Idaho than you might have otherwise thought possible because these types of gifts offer unique income and tax benefits.
Shop to Give
Shop at Amazon or Fred Meyer and a portion of every dollar you spend will be donated to the Museum of North Idaho. Here's how it works:
- Fred Meyer Community Rewards
- Create a digital account at Fred Meyer
- If you already have a digital account, login and continue to step two.
- Link your card to the Museum of North Idaho by searching for our name and then entering our NPO number
- Click Save
- Create a digital account at Fred Meyer
- Amazon Smile
- Login or create a new account at smile.amazon.com
- Under "Your Account" go to "Change Your Charity"
- You will then see a list of organizations to choose from. In the search box titled “Or pick your own charitable organization,” select Museum of North Idaho.
- Now you're ready to shop and support!
Your Support Makes a Difference
School age children in the Coeur d’Alene Region deserve the opportunity to learn and explore the rich history and culture of the area. Our educational programs enhance student performance, better preparing them for the future. Scholarships funded through donations are available for Title I Schools with limited financial resources. Support for the school field trip scholarship program is an investment in the next generation of citizens.
To keep our artifacts, photographs, and documents preserved for generations to come, we purchase special archival quality boxes, folders, and shelves. Every object is numbered, photographed, and entered into our database for proper record keeping. Donations help us ensure the continued care of North Idaho's most treasured historical items.
Every year the Museum of North Idaho produces two featured exhibits that showcase a wide range of stories about North Idaho's heritage. Our exhibits are professionally researched and designed so we can create an educational and entertaining experience for all of our guests.
Programs and Events
From living history walking tours to our monthly lecture series, the Museum of North Idaho produces a variety of programs and events to engage the community in local history. Donations help pay for supplies such as costumes, A/V technology, and pamphlets.