By Robert Singletary, Special to The Nickel’s Worth
The first musical organization to perform in what is now the city of Coeur d’Alene was probably the 2nd Infantry Band, stationed at Fort Coeur d’Alene from 1878 to 1884. The photo above shows the band in full dress in 1879. The 4th Infantry Band served at the fort from 1884 to 1894, followed by the 98th Infantry Band, which was on duty until the fort was closed in 1898. These military bands, in addition to performing their regular duty at the fort, also marched in local parades and gave concerts throughout the area, including Spokane. FSH-5-2
For more historic articles, click a title under Recent Posts from right hand menu.