By: Robert Singletary
In 1912, Spirit Lake was chosen as the home of the Inland Empire annual Chautauquas. Each summer, a comprehensive program featuring lectures, educators and entertainers of nationwide reputation would be presented at Spirit Lake. The Chautauqua grounds were open to the public throughout the year for enjoyment and recreation. The facilities included a dance pavilion, large bath house, a tennis court and several amusement booths. Visitors throughout the Inland Northwest participated in the Chautauquas but also came to Spirit Lake to vacation. The photo above shows a large crowd departing from the depot at Spirit Lake. SPI-14-15
For more historic articles, click a title under Recent Posts from right hand menu.