History of The Flyer
By Robert Singletary, Special to the Nickel’s Worth
On October 11, 1906, boat builder P.W. Johnson launched the Flyer, one of the most popular steamboats on Lake Coeur d’Alene. The Flyer was one of many steamboats that was owned and operated by J.C. White and his navigation company, the Red Collar Line. White started his steamboat business during the early 1900s and soon owned most of the large steamboats on Lake Coeur d’Alene. White also teamed up with the Spokane & Coeur d’Alene electric line and the Northern Pacific Railroad, which brought many tourists into Coeur d’Alene. The Flyer was one of the last steamboats to operate on Lake Coeur d’Alene. On July 4, 1938, the old boat was set on fire as part of the Independence Day celebration.
For more historic articles, click a title under Recent Posts from right hand menu.