By Robert Singletary, Special to the Coeur d’Alene Press
Stanley Easton, an 1894 graduate of the University of California, was associated with the Bunker Hill Mining Company in Kellogg, Idaho for more than 60 years. Three years after graduation, he started working for Bunker Hill as a laborer. By 1903, he was the manager of operations, a position he held until 1927 when he was promoted to first vice president and general manager. He moved to the presidency in 1938, a position he held until 1953. His complete retirement came in 1957. As a tribute to his long years of service, he was named honorary chairman and director emeritus of the Bunker Hill board.
Stanley Easton’s outstanding contributions to Bunkers Hill and the mining industry earned him national recognition. He received honorary doctorate degrees from the University of Idaho, Whitworth College, and the University of California. He was also involved in many professional organizations such as the Idaho State Board of Education and the North Idaho Chamber of Commerce.
The Boy Scouts was one of Easton’s primary interests. He was one of the organizers of the Shoshone County Boy Scout Council. In addition to serving as president of the council, he helped purchase Camp Easton at Booth Landing on Lake Coeur d’Alene. Easton received two distinguished citations for his work in scouting.
Stanley and his wife Estelle lived in Kellogg from 1906 to 1923 and in Coeur d’Alene from 1923 to 1958. When Stanley Easton finally retired from Bunker Hill, he sold his house in Coeur d’Alene and moved to his hometown in California. He died on December 17, 1961 at the age of 88.
For more historic articles, click a title under Recent Posts from right hand menu.