By Robert Singletary Special to the Nickel’s Worth
In 1905, the land and buildings of Fort Sherman were sold at public auction. Two Spokane businessmen, Thomas Kerl and David Ham, purchased several acres of land, including the Fort Chapel and the post commander’s spacious home. Kerl and his family lived in that house for almost 40 years. The photo above shows Kerl’s Dodge sedan in front of the house in 1918. The old commanding officers’ home was in use until it was demolished in 1957. The Fort Sherman Chapel, currently owned by the Museum of North Idaho, is still in use and is one of the oldest buildings in the State of Idaho.
For more articles of historical significance, click a title under Recent Posts from right hand menu.