Fort Sherman Closes After 20 years

By Robert Singletary Fort Sherman was officially closed on March 9, 1900, after being in operation more than twenty years. In 1901, the grounds and buildings were turned over to the Department of Interior for disposal. Several attempts were made to save the fort but none materialized. Finally, on June 6, 1905, the land and…

Read More

Hughes House Museum in St. Maries

Written by Robert Singletary. Published in the Nickel’s Worth December 25, 2020. This log house was built in St. Maries in 1902 and started out as a men’s club. From 1906 until the early 1920s it served as the office and treatment center for Dr. G.S. Thompson. In 1926 Raleigh Hughes purchased the house and…

Read More